The Team USA star was seriously in the zone when cameras panned to him in the holding room prior to his 200m butterfly semifinal on Monday. As his South African rival Chad le Clos shadowboxed in front of him, Phelps angrily stared straight ahead.
The intense image soon went viral and the #PhelpsFace hashtag began trending on Twitter, with users likening him to Star Wars’ character Kylo Ren, a Disney villain and even the cartoon character Peter Griffin from “Family Guy.”
Phelps, meanwhile, qualified in second place for Tuesday’s final.
Check out some of the best posts here:
For more Olympics coverage:
- 11 Weird Sports That Were Actually In The Olympics
- Roger Federer Posts Saddest Tweet Of The Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony
- This Is Why Lifeguards Are Patrolling The Olympic Pool At Rio 2016
- The Agony Of Olympic Defeat In 1 Heartbreaking Image
- Swimming Officials Show What The Olympics Should Be All About
- NSFW Lil Jon Song Inspires Aussie Swimmers To Olympic Gold