Becoming an Olympic athlete is no small feat. It’s an achievement that takes a lifetime of hard work, dedication and an unstoppable pursuit to be the best. And no one knows that better than the women of the 2016 Rio Olympics.
From Alaska to Florida, 391 women from around the country are representing the U.S. in Rio de Janeiro during the 2016 Olympic Summer games which begin August 5. Each woman is at the top of her game, in peak physical condition and ready to win gold.
In honor of the badass athletes representing the U.S. this summer, we rounded up 50 photos of 2016’s female Olympians doing what they do best: competing. From rugby to taekwondo and weightlifting, these photos reveal the raw power of the female body.
Scroll below to witness the undeniable strength of the female athlete.
For more Olympics coverage:
- Stop Attributing The Success Of Women Olympians To Men
- Why ‘90s Girls Adored The 1996 Olympic Gymnastics Team
- 21 Times This Year’s U.S. Olympic Women’s Gymnasts Were Straight-Up Superheroes
- Here’s The Real Reason We Love Watching Olympic Gymnastics
- 10 Olympians Who Will Make History Before They Even Compete In Rio