They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This is so true, especially when it comes to online dating.
Your picture is the first thing a man sees so it had better be good if you want him to notice you.
This is why I created a list of do's and don'ts just for you. I want you to get dates with great guys and I know it all starts right here in knowing exactly what to do when it comes to posting great pictures online.
1. DON'T wear clothing that reveals too much. A little cleavage is acceptable but showing three quarters of your breast covered only by a small piece of material is not okay. When you do this, men think you are looking for a sex partner, not a relationship.
2. DON'T post pictures where a man needs a magnifying glass to see you. I don't care how beautiful that mountain is behind you. If it takes up more space than you do, don't use the picture.
3. DON'T post pictures with your friends. How many times have you looked at pictures men have posted with friends, wondering which one is the guy who wrote the profile? And how often did you wish it was the guy's friend posting the profile because he was hotter? Men do the same thing when you post pictures with other women. Do yourself a favor and only post pictures of you!
4. DON'T post pictures with other men, even if he is your son, brother or father. Believe it or not, men think he's someone you've dated in the past, and it turns them off to see you with another man.
5. DON'T take SELFIES. No one likes seeing someone's toilet or the camera covering half your face in the mirror.
6. DON'T post pictures with your animals and grandchildren. They may be cute but believe it or not, they are seen as competition for your time with men.
7. DON'T post pictures that make you look mad, sad or indifferent to life. I know you may be wondering, who does this? But believe me when I tell you, lots of women do. And it's a huge turn off to men.
8. DO know that men are visual creatures. The first thing he will look at is your picture, not what you've written in your profile.
9. DO take a picture that shows your best assets. If it's your legs, be sure to show them. If it's your waist, show that. You want to grab a man's attention with what is great about you.
10. DO know that you have 10 seconds to get a man's attention. Make your picture count!
11. DO post at least two great pictures of you; a good headshot and a full body shot. When you only post a headshot, men think you are hiding something you don't want them to see. And often that's exactly what you're doing.
I know you're probably figuring once they get to know you, it won't matter. Believe me, it does matter and it makes him think if you're dishonest about this, what else aren't you telling him? Be honest here because in reality, you want a guy who accepts you for exactly who you are so you may as well show him who you are upfront.
12. DO hire a pro; or ask a friend or one of your kids who is camera savvy to do this for you. The advantage of a professional picture is they help you stand out from everyone else on the site. Just make sure the photographer does minimal retouching.
13. DO wear clothing that makes you look and feel your best. You take a better picture when you are feeling like the amazing woman you are.
14. DO post recent pictures. I admit it's nice to look like you're 40 again but there's something wrong when a guy has to call you because he can't figure out which one you are at Starbucks when you're meeting.
15. DO SMILE! Men are naturally drawn to pictures of women who smile. Your smile makes you glow and gives the impression you are fun and positive to be around. This is so attractive to the men you want to meet!
Lisa Copeland is the best-selling author and dating coach who makes finding a great guy fun and easier after 50. To learn more about how to make online dating successful, visit www.findaqualityman.com.