Maddow noted that cases have been confirmed in every state, but the “patchwork” response means the outbreak will continue to rise “exponentially because every infected person, whether or not they’ve got symptoms, is infecting on average more than one additional person and so if you’ve got any, you’re about to have a lot.”
“I mean, it’s just insane at this point. It’s insane at this point,” Maddow said of the haphazard federal response to the public health crisis that has so far sickened more than 215,000 people in the U.S. and killed more than 5,100.
She then compared the way President Donald Trump’s administration is dealing with the outbreak to the governments of other countries:
You look at the other countries in the world that have outbreaks as bad as us. Well, actually we stand alone. You look at other countries in the world who have had terrible outbreaks, at least they’ve got a national policy. It’s insane. It’s fatal. It’s insane in terms of policy and leadership and ethics. It’s also insane in terms of how grossly mismanaged the federal government piece of this already is.
Check out the segment here:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Heads up: Not all your tax deadlines have been postponed
- I just got out of a COVID-19 ICU. Here’s how I made it through.
- How to make a no-sew coronavirus face mask
- Why some people might have trouble getting their coronavirus rebates payments
- What to do if you live with someone with COVID-19
- There’s a simple game that can stop a tantrum cold
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism – and keep it free for everyone – by becoming a HuffPost member today.