Rachel Maddow on Monday slammed former President Donald Trump and former first lady Melania Trump for reportedly quietly receiving the COVID-19 vaccine in January during their final weeks in the White House.
“Why did they keep this information secret from the American public?” the MSNBC anchor asked. “I mean, sometimes that administration and that president did things that I thought were sort of crazy or wrong, but at least I could discern the self-interest. What was the self-interest here? To whom did the benefit accrue from keeping this secret from the American public?”
Trump’s catastrophic mismanagement of the pandemic saw him downplay the threat of the virus, hype unproven treatments and mock people who wore masks. The coronavirus has now killed more than 514,000 people in the United States alone.
Polling suggests Republicans are more skeptical about receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. Maddow said it was “unbelievable” that news of Trump’s vaccination wasn’t publicized, arguing it could have helped save lives.
Watch the video above.
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Is it safe to see people who have gotten the coronavirus vaccine?
- What it means if your partner tests positive for COVID-19 but you don’t.
- How worried should you be about the new strains of coronavirus?
- The unexpected challenges of co-parenting during a pandemic.
- 19 things we took for granted pre-pandemic but now miss.
- Find all that and more on our coronavirus hub page.
As COVID-19 cases rise, it’s more important than ever to remain connected and informed. Join the HuffPost community today. (It’s free!)