How have you lived this long without seeing a walrus sleeping on a submarine?
All of these are picture based so there's really no excuse to refrain from spending the roughly two minutes it'll take to learn everything. We expect you to nod your head slightly and say, "hmm," or "oh, so that's what that looks like," in a mildly amused tone quite a few times throughout this post.
Let's do this.
1. This is how sperm whales sleep.
Discovery Channel video.
2. This is how double decker buses are tested.
Bus tilt testing video.
3. This is what Mars would look like if it still had water.
Article from The Atlantic.
4. This is how zoologists weigh tiny birds.
The bird is a java sparrow and it's being weighed at Chester Zoo in England.
5. This is how Amazon ships bubble wrap.
Order some for yourself.
6. This is how pineapples grow.
If you love pineapples, here are some more "mind-boggling" facts.
7. This is how Google does "street view" in the Arctic.
8. This is what we'd see if Saturn was as close as the Moon.
9. This is how snow is cleared off train tracks in Alaska.
These things have been around for awhile.
10. This is how wood chips are unloaded from trucks.
Video of this in action.
11. This is the first alligator with a prosthetic tail.
The alligator's name is "Mr. Stubbs."
12. This is how a Protestant and Catholic couple were buried since neither could be buried in the other Church's graveyard.
The gravesite is in the Netherlands.
13. This is the Super Bowl confetti shaped like the Lombardi trophy.
According to The Onion, the confetti was "made entirely from shredded concussion studies."
14. This is what Mt. Rushmore was supposed to look like.
This scale model shows the level of detail they wanted. Too bad they ran into some serious funding troubles.
15. This is how the elevator works in St. Louis' Gateway Arch.
Video of someone riding up the elevator.
Image: National Park Service
16. This is how a starfish eats an anchovy.
Video of a starfish eating.
Image: Flickr user Elton Lin
17. This is what 20 minutes of fireworks being set off at once looks like.
It was a big mistake. It happened in San Diego in 2012.
18. This is the inside of an Amazon warehouse.
The warehouse is in Wales.
19. This is tonic water under a blacklight.
Here's how to make glow in the dark drinks.
20. This is what Barbie would look like with normal proportions.
The Vice President of Design at Mattel, Kimberly Culmone, recently said, “Barbie was never designed to be realistic.” That obviously didn't go over well.
21. This is what Justin Bieber wore to meet the Prime Minister of Canada.
Justin Bieber explaining himself.
22. This is what it looks like when kayaking through ice.
Here's some advice about winter kayaking.
23. This is the world's largest living cat.
It's actually a liger named Hercules and weights 922 pounds.
24. This is the largest K'nex ball machine.
Video of the machine in action.
25. This is several tons of manure being dumped in front of the French parliament.
The gifting happened in January 2014 and was obviously a symbol of protest.
26. This is algae causing the water of Bondi Beach to turn red.
Caused by a rare algae bloom in 2012.
27. This is how fish are fed at an aquarium.
At the Harbin Pole Aquarium.
28. This is what decades of nuclear testing did to a desert in Nevada.
The history of the Nevada Test Site (NTS).
29. This is what a penny looks like after being on Mars for over a year.
The penny is being carried by the Mars Rover Curiosity.
30. This is the tombstone symbol used for atheist U.S. veterans.
The National Cemetery Administration actually offers many different symbols for religious denominations.
31. This is what happens when a train does a "burnout."
The brakes are applied but the engine didn't get the signal.
32. This is the correct way to cut limes.
At least according to that box. Of course there are other correct ways.
33. This is the "sand" at Ireland's coral beach in Carraroe.
The coral pieces can get fairly large.
34. This is how much bigger Disneyworld is than Disneyland.
Here's a side-by-side visual comparison of a few of the more famous attractions.
35. This is what the signature "line" looks like on checks.
It's called microprinting and can be found on U.S. currency as well.
36. This is a "snake worm" called an Amphisbaena.
Video of the thing in action.
37. This is Vancouver's "The Sun" becoming "The Moon!"
From July 21st, 1969.
38. This is what a road clearing looks like after huge snowfalls.
This is how Japan dealt with clearing the road.
39. The name FedEx Express seems just a bit duplicative.
FedEx used to be Federal Express, which means this is comically close to Federal Express Express. Between this and the "arrow," FedEx really wants to stress how fast they are.
40. This is what it looks like when a walrus falls asleep on a submarine.
Apparently walruses are the "world's most unusual snoozers."
41. This is someone who should get a DUI.
Also Nickelback lullabies exist if you weren't aware.
These space tears are being shed because of Nickelback.