Our greatest challenge is to stop the little wants from getting in the way of our big wants ~ the aspirations that could be truly life-changing:
- Lose weight and get fit
- Strengthen my spiritual life
- Fall in love again
- Be a better mother/father/spouse/son/daughter/friend
- Give back to my community
- Take control of my financial situation
- Write my book
- Get a promotion or a new job or more clients
Whatever our biggest want, what's stopping us? Our responses to this question are our excuses, and as long as they're in charge, we're not!
How to take charge of your excuses
My definition of an excuse is anything that lets me off the hook -- the reasons I give myself for not moving toward a big want. Here are some excuses I have known, loved, and heard as well as ideas about how to get the upper hand.
- I'm just too busy. My tombstone should say She was just too busy because I've used it so often. Ever hear yourself compete with someone else about how busy you are -- how silly! My biggest time-waster is procrastination. I've tried everything to take charge of this excuse, and the only answer is to ignore it. Exercise, start writing, pick up the phone, do an act of service... or whatever you've been telling yourself you're too busy to do.
- What is my biggest want right now?
- What excuse has been stopping me from having it?
- What will I do today to take charge?
You'll know you're in charge when you see the evidence in your life. For example, you're exercising, your loved ones are happy, you have more money, you're writing, you are more peaceful, and you can trust yourself to do what matters.
You ultimately realize that there are
no excuses worth defending, ever.
-- Wayne Dyer
Be in touch to share time when you put your big wants in charge. Either scroll down to leave a comment, or write to me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more by Jinny Ditzler, click here
For more on life lessons, click here
For more about Best Year Yet, click here
To make your own Best Year Yet Plan:
Get Your Best Year Yet! -- there's a free workbook in the back of the book.
Join the Best Year Yet global community ~ subscribe here.