Reince Priebus, the Republican National Committee chair, and scores of other GOP members condemned on Friday derogatory comments that GOP nominee Donald Trump made toward women in 2005. But most of the elected officials indicated they were not withdrawing their support of the real estate mogul.
Trump had claimed he pushed a married woman to have sex with him and said he could grab women “by the pussy” because he was a celebrity. A recording of his conversation with then-”Access Hollywood” host Billy Bush was published by NBC News and The Washington Post on Friday.
“No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever,” Priebus said in a statement released that night.
Priebus was scheduled to appear alongside Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) at a fundraiser in Wisconsin on Saturday. Late Friday, however, Trump’s campaign announced the nominee would no longer be appearing, and would instead be participating in a debate prep session in New York.
Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), who chairs the House Republican Conference, also admonished Trump in a statement.
“It is never appropriate to condone unwanted sexual advances or violence against women. Mr. Trump must realize that it has no place in public or private conversations today or in the past,” said the highest-ranking Republican woman in Congress, who had previously endorsed Trump.
Other top Republicans also issued condemnations on Friday.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) called on Trump to “apologize directly to women and girls everywhere, and take full responsibility” for the comments. House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said was “sickened” by the remarks.
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who dropped out of the GOP presidential primary earlier this year, called the remarks “reprehensible” on Twitter.
Ohio Gov. John Kasich, another former Trump primary rival, echoed the sentiment.
Mitt Romney, the Republicans’ presidential nominee four years ago, condemned his successor’s remarks as “vile degradations.”
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), the 2008 GOP nominee, denounced Trump’s “offensive and demeaning, adding that the GOP nominee “alone bears the burden of his conduct and alone should suffer the consequences.”
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), who is facing a hotly contested re-election battle, called Trump’s comments “totally inappropriate and offensive” in a statement released Friday. The senator did not, however, renounce her support of the GOP nominee. Earlier this week, Ayotte walked back comments in which she called Trump a role model for children.
Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), another vulnerable Republican facing re-election this year, labeled Trump’s remarks “completely unacceptable.”
Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), who is fighting to keep his seat this year, went with “outrageous.”
Sens. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) also made their feelings known on Twitter.
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) called Trump’s comments “vulgar, egregious and impossible to justify.”
AJ Spiker, a former chairman of the Iowa Republican Party, called on Trump to resign as the GOP’s nominee.
Those withdrawing their endorsement of Trump included Utah Gov. Gary Herbert and Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah.)
This story has been updated with condemnations from Mitt Romney and Pat Toomey.
Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.
Our 2024 Coverage Needs You
It's Another Trump-Biden Showdown — And We Need Your Help
The Future Of Democracy Is At Stake
Our 2024 Coverage Needs You
Your Loyalty Means The World To Us
As Americans head to the polls in 2024, the very future of our country is at stake. At HuffPost, we believe that a free press is critical to creating well-informed voters. That's why our journalism is free for everyone, even though other newsrooms retreat behind expensive paywalls.
Our journalists will continue to cover the twists and turns during this historic presidential election. With your help, we'll bring you hard-hitting investigations, well-researched analysis and timely takes you can't find elsewhere. Reporting in this current political climate is a responsibility we do not take lightly, and we thank you for your support.
Contribute as little as $2 to keep our news free for all.
Can't afford to donate? Support HuffPost by creating a free account and log in while you read.
The 2024 election is heating up, and women's rights, health care, voting rights, and the very future of democracy are all at stake. Donald Trump will face Joe Biden in the most consequential vote of our time. And HuffPost will be there, covering every twist and turn. America's future hangs in the balance. Would you consider contributing to support our journalism and keep it free for all during this critical season?
HuffPost believes news should be accessible to everyone, regardless of their ability to pay for it. We rely on readers like you to help fund our work. Any contribution you can make — even as little as $2 — goes directly toward supporting the impactful journalism that we will continue to produce this year. Thank you for being part of our story.
Can't afford to donate? Support HuffPost by creating a free account and log in while you read.
It's official: Donald Trump will face Joe Biden this fall in the presidential election. As we face the most consequential presidential election of our time, HuffPost is committed to bringing you up-to-date, accurate news about the 2024 race. While other outlets have retreated behind paywalls, you can trust our news will stay free.
But we can't do it without your help. Reader funding is one of the key ways we support our newsroom. Would you consider making a donation to help fund our news during this critical time? Your contributions are vital to supporting a free press.
Contribute as little as $2 to keep our journalism free and accessible to all.
Can't afford to donate? Support HuffPost by creating a free account and log in while you read.
As Americans head to the polls in 2024, the very future of our country is at stake. At HuffPost, we believe that a free press is critical to creating well-informed voters. That's why our journalism is free for everyone, even though other newsrooms retreat behind expensive paywalls.
Our journalists will continue to cover the twists and turns during this historic presidential election. With your help, we'll bring you hard-hitting investigations, well-researched analysis and timely takes you can't find elsewhere. Reporting in this current political climate is a responsibility we do not take lightly, and we thank you for your support.
Contribute as little as $2 to keep our news free for all.
Can't afford to donate? Support HuffPost by creating a free account and log in while you read.
Dear HuffPost Reader
Thank you for your past contribution to HuffPost. We are sincerely grateful for readers like you who help us ensure that we can keep our journalism free for everyone.
The stakes are high this year, and our 2024 coverage could use continued support. Would you consider becoming a regular HuffPost contributor?
Dear HuffPost Reader
Thank you for your past contribution to HuffPost. We are sincerely grateful for readers like you who help us ensure that we can keep our journalism free for everyone.
The stakes are high this year, and our 2024 coverage could use continued support. If circumstances have changed since you last contributed, we hope you'll consider contributing to HuffPost once more.
Support HuffPostAlready contributed? Log in to hide these messages.