It takes nerves of steel to say "I love you" to someone for the first time.
Sure, they could say they love you back, but what if the feeling is anything but mutual and they let you know in the most soul-crushing way possible?
Take, for instance, any one of the terrible, terrible responses in this list, culled from an Ask Reddit thread that popped up Tuesday. Read what the Redditors had to say below -- and if you've ever been on the receiving end of any of these replies, our deepest, deepest condolences.
1. "Take it back' was said the other day to my friend's face. Ouch.
2. "'Wait...why?' I'm sad to say that I'm the owner of this response."
3. "And I love spending time with you!"
4. "My ex said 'thank you' and that was it. Shame ensued. There were a few moments of silence which I broke by saying 'juuuuuust kiddinggggggg' in a shaky, trying-not-to-cry voice and then we broke up a few days later."
5. "'Thank you' is bad, but the worst has to be 'thank you?' stated as a question, dragged out in an awkward way, so their response is actually more like, 'Why are you saying that? What am I supposed to say back? Am I supposed to be happy? Well, that's not how I actually feel and now you ruined this relationship.'"
6. "I love me, too!"
7. "I'm sorry."
8. "'Oh....no.' The tone of her voice sounded more disappointed than anything else. Sad day for me."
9. "Yeah, you're not too bad yourself."
10. "Awesome sauce."
11. "Via text: 'K' In person: 'I love you too, like a brother/sister.' On the phone: '-dial tone-' Webcam: 'Your session has ended.'"
12. "In ninth grade, some girl said 'I love you' in front of a group of 8-10 of us. The guy replied, 'You want fries with that?' Devastating."
13. "That's... sweet."
14. "'I wish I loved you.' Yeah, I got that once."
15. "Woah, I thought this was just physical."
16. "But I don't love you."
17. "Laughing. One of my close friends told me he loved me and always had. I laughed. I thought he was joking. He wasn't... He looked so crushed."
18. "I know how you feel; I love someone, too."
19. "Aww, crap."
20. "'The feeling is mutual.' I was 13, she was 12, it lasted a month and now we're both gay. At least something was mutual."