"Where do you want to go? Oh, I don't know, where do you want to go? What do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?"
You've had this same conversation many times, haven't you? It might be about a restaurant, a movie, or your next vacation. Sometimes couples find it hard to come up with new ideas. Despite all of the choices that surround us we tend to fall back on the same ones time and again. How about that cabin on the coast we go to every summer, the cafe where they serve that great salad, the movie that the neighbors recommended...?
Here's an idea for 2016: why not shake things up and do something entirely out of character for you two? Something to startle your friends, amaze your children, and bring you closer together as a couple...
The past year I've been honored to have a great many people share their "bucket lists" with me while I compiled The Big Bucket List Book: 133 Experiences of a Lifetime. Travel dreams, family hopes, or secret personal goals, every life is filled with possibility! And some of these goals are downright sexy sounding things for a couple to do together.
Here are five great bucket list items for couples to dream about together, either late at night over a glass of champagne or on a lazy Sunday morning while lounging in bed.
1. Have Dinner Up in the Eiffel Tower: Picture this ... the two of you leaning in close over the table, gazing out the window at Paris in all its glory. Jules Verne is tops for romance. Not only is the food wonderful, but you can skip the lines and whisk up the tower in a private elevator that is reserved for diners.
2. Attend a Masked Ball in Venice: You've seen this in movies, read about it in novels, all those elegantly dressed Europeans in elaborate masks twirling on the dance floor. Sooo romantic. And so within reach! You can buy the tickets and rent the costumes at the same time by going here. Plan on it for next year at this same time.
3. Learn to Cook in Another Language: Speak another language, cook another language, experience life in another language. Attending a cooking class together in a foreign country will immerse you in the food, the language, and the culture in an incredible way. A week-long cooking class in a 16th century castle in Italy would certainly do the trick. Go here for more information.
4. Get Silly at Clown School: Laughter is infectious. Trusting each other enough to do something goofy is an important step in any relationship. Camp Winnarainbow has been going on for more than 40 years, run by famed 60s hippie figure Wavy Gravy. Located up on the California coast, they offer sessions as short as a few days or as long as a week. Juggling, trapeze skills, clowning ... this is the place for adults to let loose and experience their inner clown.
5. Live in a Castle: Live for free in a grand place in Europe for a week or a month or more in exchange for taking care of the pets while the owner travels? Sure, you can handle that together. A recent listing on the website Trustedhousesitters.com is for a seven-bedroom historic stone farm in Southern France with "breathtaking" views of the Pyrenees.
Open up and share your dream destination with your loved one. Maybe they share the same dream and soon you could be headed there, together!