SPORTS

'DWTS' Entrant Ryan Lochte Says He Made 'A Very Big Mistake' In Rio

"It's something that won't ever happen again."

At least he wasn’t stepping around the truth.

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, newly confirmed Tuesday as a contestant on “Dancing with the Stars,” confessed that he messed up big time at the Rio Games.

Lochte, whose fabricated account of being stopped in a cab and robbed with a gun to his head spiraled into disgrace, told “Good Morning America”: “I take full responsibility. I’m human. I made a mistake. A very big mistake.”

It’s something that I learned from and I know that will never happen again,” he said.

Lochte took a hit in his wallet when several sponsors dumped him, so the chance to work with professional dancer Cheryl Burke on Season 23 of “DWTS” could help keep the cash flow going.

Now Lochte, 32, would just like to leave the scandal in his wake.

“I’m never one to dwell on the past,” he said. “I just want to move forward. Everyone has got to be sick and tired about hearing about this. I just want to move forward.”

Reports circulated last week that Lochte would be on the show ― the deal was apparently worked out before the incident. But “GMA” made the “DWTS” roster official Tuesday morning. He’ll be joined by fellow U.S. Olympian Laurie Hernandez, who won gold in the gymnastics team competition and silver on the balance beam.

“Dancing with the Stars” premieres Sept. 12 on ABC. See you then, lyin’ Ryan!

HuffPost

BEFORE YOU GO

CONVERSATIONS