Gorka, who reportedly is under consideration for a top role overseeing the Voice of America, agreed with a caller in California who’d labeled the face masks mandated by the state as “Democrat Islamo-Maoist masks.”
“You mean the COVID burqas, the COVID masks?” responded Gorka, who has a history of making offensive, anti-Islamic remarks. He added that there was “something inhuman” about the idea of covering the face.
“Not only does it dehumanize the individual in that interaction with another human being,” Gorka continued, making a reference to being challenged for not wearing a mask in the post office. “But also, it is, you’re right, an act of submission and as I said to that lady, clearly a Democrat voter in the post office who said, ‘Where’s your mask?’ I said, ‘My body my choice.’”
An anti-mask stance has become a billboard for some right-wingers in recent weeks, following President Donald Trump’s refusal to wear one. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends people wear “cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain” and many states require them in public.
Check out Gorka’s comments here:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.