“Late Night” host Meyers noted that anchors on the widely watched conservative network often pivot to attacking Obama whenever the going gets tough for President Donald Trump, as it is now amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“Fox hosts say the name Obama like it’s their safe word,” said Meyers.
“Their obsession with Obama is akin to gossipy cheerleaders spreading rumors about the prom queen because she won’t hang out with them,” he joked.
Meyers then laid out why he believes the GOP and Fox News would “honestly rather live in an alternate universe” where Obama was still in office.
“Then they could at least lie and tell themselves they were a ragtag band of rebels and not the marketing department for the Death Star,” he observed.
Check out Meyers’ monologue here:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.