The purpose of writing is to inform, entertain, persuade and inspire. Does your writing -- be it an email, blog post or social media update - do that? Does it attract more business?
Compelling writing captures readers' attention. It is clear, concise and flows very smoothly. Use these tips to simplify your writing and attract high quality leads (especially the elusive Internet ones!).
- Use shorter, simpler words
- Ruthlessly delete any ideas that are repeated
- Don't make simple points sound more complex than they are
- Aim to keep your writing as personable and universally understandable as possible
- don't use: somewhat, somehow, a little, arguably, rather, it seems, it appears as though, as it's often said, notably (these words take away power and authority)
- watch out for run-on sentences
- active sentences make comprehension easier
Keep in mind: a confused mind always says 'no'. People with clear, simple and elegant writing always win. Think deeply about every single word and have a strong intention to connect with your audience. In other words, keep it real.
What is your advice about writing effectively? Share in the comments below.