For reasons that are utterly beyond us, single life gets bad rap. But don't let its ragged-upon reputation fool you: Being single is not all crippling-cat-lady loneliness and calls from your mother about the status of your love life. (Okay, you generally do have to field some calls about your love life from your mom, but we digress.)
For those of us recently out of a long-term relationship, being single can be liberating: Once the sting of heartbreak wears off, you start to realize that being by yourself isn't the end of the world -- and that calling all the shots in your life, without any outside influence from your ex, feels really, really good.
HuffPost Divorce readers know as much. Below, they share the one thing they appreciate most about being on their own since their divorces.
1. "Your days of being alone with someone sitting right there next to you are officially over."
2. "The arguments cease to exist. You may have lost your ex, but you gain a sense of peace and a chance at being happy by yourself -- or maybe with someone else."
3. "You can breathe again. Also, having the bed to yourself? Pure joy."
4. "Rejoice! You can now spend money on anything you want -- including things your ex would have frowned upon and considered wasteful."
5. "You now have the opportunity to create whatever future you want for yourself."
6. "Best. Sex. Ever."
7. "That remote control is all yours. I no longer have to change the channel every time her soap opera comes on."
8. "Being pushed around, lied to, cheated on, and emotionally abused are a thing of the past. The best thing, though, is finding real love, and finally feeling safe, both physically and emotionally."
9. "Honest talk here: If it was rough toward the end with your ex, it's a relief not having to wake up every morning to see the biggest mistake of your life."
10. "The best thing is getting to be yourself again. I'm now learning to love myself first."
11. "You have another chance to learn from your faults -- and the opportunity to be a lot more careful the next time you choose your partner."