I've wanted to make a smoked trout spread forever, and I finally did. Ultimately, it was simple and easy.
After preparing the spread, I asked my daughter Lucia to taste test it. She sniffed it, as she does any new food. (Do all kids do that? I've only seen her do it.) She took a bite. Her eyes rolled up into the back of her head; she closed them and smiled. "That's good," she said.
Taste it for yourself and let me know what you think...
Smoked Trout Spread
- ½ pound smoked trout (or 1 8-ounce package of smoked trout), skin removed
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
1. Rip up the smoked trout into little pieces or cut it with a knife and put it in a bowl.
2. Add the cream cheese, lemon juice, and chopped onion, and the salt and pepper, to taste. Mix together. I found it mixed best using my hands, with their warmth softening up the cream cheese.
3. Scoop the mixture into a serving bowl and garnish with fresh herbs like lemon verbena, parsley, chives... or nothing at all! Serve with toast rounds, artisan bread, or crackers.
For more from Maria Rodale, visit www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com