Attention about the scourge of childhood sexual abuse and New York's archaic statute of limitations has never been greater than it is right now. Outrage about case after case where perpetrators have been hidden and slipped away from justice is making the front page of news. So can we take action now, please?
Join SOL Reform & other child sex abuse advocates in Albany for May 3-4 Lobby Days.
The Tuesday program will include a roundtable where abuse in sports, schools and families will be discussed by a panel of experts and survivors. The second day has been inspired by the Academy Award-winning film Spotlight which helps us put the focus on hidden abuse in the Catholic Church and related SOL issues in NY State.
Our existing New York laws are so terrible that we rank among the very worst among all 50 states in America for how the courts and criminal justice system treat survivors of child sex abuse.
Many of you have long been part of the battle to change our bad laws and I'm reaching out today to ask you, once again, to join me in Albany to let the Governor and State Legislators know you want them to act.
Our goal is to enact A2872A/A63A, which will completely eliminate the civil statute of limitations for child sex abuse offenses in the future. It also includes a one-year "window" where older victims can go to court against abusers and those who hid them. A companion bill A8567/S6436 will completely eliminate the criminal statute of limitations for these crimes.
Because of the strong support that CVA already has in the Assembly, with more than 60 co-sponsors, we want to concentrate lobbying activity on members of the State Senate during these two days.
I hope many of you will be able to come to Albany on May 3-4 to speak directly to our state government, but you do not have to wait to make your views known. Speak to the people at the very top by writing, emailing or calling our leaders.
Following is a schedule of key Lobby Day events.
Tuesday, May 3, Hearing Room B, NYS Legislative Office Building (LOB)
· 2:00 pm - CVA Press Conference, Hearing Room B.
· 2:45 pm - Roundtable, hosted by Assemblywoman Margaret Markey and State Senator Brad Hoylman. Moderated by Professor Marci Hamilton and featuring speakers and survivors discussing childhood sexual abuse and SOL issues in three sectors: Sports, Family, School/Youth Group settings.
· 5-6:00 pm - Informal reception for Roundtable participants, advocates and lobbyists. Albany Room, on the Concourse.
Wednesday, May 4, Hearing Room B, NYS Legislative Office Building
THEME: Academy Award-Winning Film "Spotlight" Puts Focus on Hidden Abuse in Catholic Church and Statute of Limitations Issues in New York
· 1:00 pm - CVA Press Conference
· 2:00 pm - Roundtable hosted by Assemblywoman Markey and Senator Hoylman on how the themes from this Academy Award-winning movie impact New York State and all of America. Moderated by Professor Marci Hamilton and including participation of Oscar-winning screenwriter Josh Singer and figures from "Spotlight". Other participants will include representatives from Bishops Accountability, Call to Action, Catholic Whistleblowers, SNAP as well as clerical sex abuse survivors.
· 5:00 pm - Screening of "Spotlight" for Lobby Day participants with special invitations to all members of the Senate and Assembly. (in location outside LOB building TBA)
The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo Governor of New York State Executive Chamber
Albany, NY 12224
Hon. John J. Flanagan Senate Majority leader
Room 805, Legislative Office Building Albany, NY 12247
Phone: 518-455-2071, Fax: 518-426-6904
Hon. Andrea Stewart-Cousins Senate Minority Conference Leader Room 907, legislative Office Building Albany, NY 12247
Phone: 518-455-2585, Fax: 518-426-6811
OTHER KEY LEGISLATORS & STAFF
Hon. Michael F. Nozzolio
Chair, Senate Codes Committee Room 503, Legislative Office Building Albany, NY 12247
Phone: 518-455-2366, Fax: 518-426-6953
Counsel to the Governor Executive Chamber Albany, NY 12224
Hon. Carl E. Heastie
NY State Assembly Speaker
Room 932, legislative Office Building Albany, NY 12248
Phone: 518-455-3791, Fax: 518-455-4812
Hon. Jeffrey D. Klein
Independent Democratic Conference Leader Room 913, Legislative Office Building Albany, NY 12247
Phone: 518-455-3595, Fax: 518-426-6887
Hon. Joseph D. Morelle Assembly Majority Leader
Room 926, Legislative Office Building Albany, NY 12248
Phone: 518-455-5373, Fax: 518-455-5647
Counsel to the Assembly Speaker
Room 347, State Capitol, Albany, NY 12248 Phone: 518-455-3781
The above action alert has been created by Margaret M. Markey, Member of Assembly, 30th District, Queens. Get more information about the child sex abuse statute of limitations on SOL Reform.
How to vote
Vote-by-mail ballot request deadline: Varies by state
For the Nov 3 election: States are making it easier for citizens to vote absentee by mail this year due to the coronavirus. Each state has its own rules for mail-in absentee voting. Visit your state election office website to find out if you can vote by mail.Get more information
In-person early voting dates: Varies by state
Sometimes circumstances make it hard or impossible for you to vote on Election Day. But your state may let you vote during a designated early voting period. You don't need an excuse to vote early. Visit your state election office website to find out whether they offer early voting.My Election Office
General Election: Nov 3, 2020
Polling hours on Election Day: Varies by state/localityMy Polling Place