Natasha Saroca, Houzz Contributor
The transition between seasons provides the perfect excuse to update your home so that it feels fresh and reflects the change in the weather. If you haven't already given your interiors a seasonal spruce-up, let this be the month that you dedicate to the project. These 10 must-try decorating hacks -- some fast and affordable, others requiring a bigger investment of time and money -- will revive your interiors for the season and beyond.
1. Switch up your layout. Rearranging your furniture, decor and art is a small design trick that can make a big impact. Even the teeniest of tweaks -- such as moving furniture away from your walls or transferring a large artwork from its original position to another wall -- will re-energize your space and make it feel like new again.
2. Give your shelves a bright update. Jazz up plain shelves by painting the back of the display case an eye-popping hue or a quartet of different colors, as seen in the dining area above. Alternatively, line the wall or back panels with patterned wallpaper for a graphic look.
3. Bring your bathroom to life with bright towels. Pep up pared-back bathrooms by replacing your plain old towels with new ones in room-reviving hues or punchy patterns. These cheery yellow towels do the job nicely.
4. Dig out your Christmas lights. Use twinkle lights to imbue your interior with sparkle and a magical mood. String them across your ceiling, wrap them around exposed beams or place a strand of battery-powered lights in a tall glass vase to create a gorgeous, glittering centerpiece.
5. Make over dull doors. Give plain doors pizazz with a cheery color or an attention-grabbing motif. As you can see from these two doorways, such treatments definitely make an entrance and lend a hearty dose of character to otherwise restrained settings.
6. Splurge on a new shower curtain. Changing the shower curtain can transform the look and feel of your bathroom. I love this graphic floral design, but if you'd prefer something more subdued, opt for a geometric pattern in a quieter palette.
7. Decorate with uplifting typographic prints. Hang positive affirmations and cheery messages around your home. They'll not only pick you up, but they'll also ramp up the style cred of your space. Create your own, download free designs off the internet, or buy prints from online marketplaces like Etsy or Society6.
8. Display your prized collection. Create a point of interest on a mantel, shelf or wall by showcasing similar items together. Whether you want to fashion a vignette with your favorite vases or show off your prized Pez collection, the arrangement is sure to attract the eye and lend plenty of personality to your space.
9. Go bold with a rug. A speedy way to up a room's game is to introduce a stop-and-stare patterned rug. Besides providing color, character, texture and graphic interest, it'll help visually anchor the space, and make it feel warm and inviting.
10. Paint your trim. Punctuate intricate architectural features like floorboards, crown moldings and door frames by painting them an accent color. Choose a rich, moody tone, such as black or charcoal gray, for an ultrasophisticated look. Or pick a livelier hue to create a look with personality and playfulness.