The “Late Show” host said Tuesday that the president is “freaking out” after a second White House staffer tested positive for the coronavirus. Even though Trump himself still refuses to wear a mask, the administration has imposed “stringent” measures to protect him, The Washington Post reported, citing a former official who called him a “total germaphobe.”
In the midst of stricter White House protections, Colbert roasted Trump for being such a hypocrite in encouraging states to reduce social distancing and get back to business.
“For a germaphobe, Trump sure is anxious to get the rest of us out in the hot zone,” the comedian said. “It’s the ultimate ‘This milk smells funny. You drink it.’ Also, ‘This bleach smells funny. Drink that too.’”
Watch Colbert’s full takedown above, in which he explains why the country hasn’t quite “prevailed” against the pandemic the way Trump boasts it has.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- Will there be a second stimulus check?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Why it takes so long to make a coronavirus vaccine
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.