Witches, wizards and superheroes all know the power of a cape. And while we mere mortals may not be flying around, capes can still take our personal style to great heights. And lucky for us, they're one of fall's biggest trends.
We've spotted capes on several runways, including Lanvin, Chloe and Marni -- but there are also plenty more affordable options from the likes of Aritzia, Boden and Zara. Bottom line: there's no reason we shouldn't all be throwing a cape over our shoulders this season.
And while the absence of sleeves can make capes seem tricky to wear (how do you wear your shoulder-strap bags?), don't let that discourage you -- the sartorial statement is well worth the inconvenience. Need proof? Check out the photos and tips below for all the inspiration you need to expertly wear a cape this season.
1. Pull out your top-handle, ladylike bags. Capes are perfect for carrying a handbag on your forearm.
2. Slip on a pair of tall boots -- they were pretty much made to rock with fall capes.
3. Play with proportions -- pair culottes with your cape for a fashion-forward look.
4. Incorporate a sleek black cape into your go-to date night ensemble.
5. Throw on a belt to give all that voluminous fabric -- and your waist -- a sophisticated shape.
6. Don't be shy -- an eye-catching cape can become your biggest fashion statement this season.
7. Layer a cape over a thin sweater and under an over-sized scarf.
8. Find a cape with fringe for an extra element of fun.
9. Opt for a cape dress if you're feeling extra sassy.
10. Try a sporty style. Capes don't always have to be so prim and proper.
11. And finally, the only thing cuter than you in a cape ... is a baby in a cape.
Shop some of our favorite capes:
Also on HuffPost: