The Obama White House official ― in a searing editorial for The New York Times headlined “Trump Is the Wartime President We Have (Not the One We Need)” ― listed the ways Trump’s botched handling of the crisis may unnecessarily cost the lives of “many thousands more Americans.”
Among a litany of errors, the Trump administration previously shelved its pandemic playbook, ignored initial warnings of the public health threat posed by the outbreak and failed to act quickly to combat the spread of the virus, Rice wrote.
“It’s in our common interest that Mr. Trump stop trash-talking and start leading with the decency and resolve that we deserve,” Rice concluded. “But let’s not kid ourselves: Until America changes command, we are condemned to fight with the leader we have.”
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- What to do if you can’t pay rent now
- How to switch off from work when home is your office
- 8 sleep tips if coronavirus anxiety is keeping you up at night
- How long does coronavirus live in the air?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.