SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas ― Around half the people killed in Sunday’s mass shooting were minors, including at least one child under age two.
Of the 26 people who lost their lives at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, 12 to 14 of them were children, Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt said Monday morning.
The tragedy in the small community near San Antonio marks the worst mass shooting in the history of Texas, with deceased victims as young as 18 months and as old as 77 years.
At least 26 people ― around half the church’s membership, according to one estimate ― were killed when a lone gunman opened fire on worshippers a little before noon on Sunday, officials said. Several families are grappling with multiple deaths and injuries ― the Holcombe family, for instance, lost eight people from three generations.
The Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio received eight patients. The Connally Memorial Medical Center in Floresville, Texas, said it admitted eight patients with gunshot wounds on Sunday, but four of them had to be transferred to University Hospital in San Antonio for a higher level of care.
In total, University Hospital received nine patients: four children, one of whom died, and five adults, two of whom have also since died, surgeon Brian Eastridge said on Monday afternoon. The deceased child was 8 years old and suffered multiple gunshot wounds. The remaining patients are in serious to critical condition.
Here’s what we know so far about those killed:
Richard Rodriguez and his wife, Therese, were killed, their daughter Regina Rodriguez told ABC News.
Nick Wagner, a photographer at the Austin American-Statesman who was on the scene shortly after the attack, reported that the father of Rebecca Metcalf was killed in the shooting. His name has not yet been released.
Amanda Mosel told the San Antonio Express-News that her 13-year-old goddaughter was among the dead. Her name has yet to be released.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.