The Huffington Post is building a movement to spark conversations between parents and children. We'd love for you to be part of it.
Talk To Me is a new video series in which people interview their parents (or grandparents, mentors, etc.). You can join the movement by filming your own short (5-7 minute) video with your loved one. We're featuring these videos everyday on HuffPost.
It's fun and easy and we promise you'll be glad you captured the conversation. You can watch some touching examples of Talk To Me videos below.
So grab your smartphone and your loved one and follow the steps below.
Just use the hashtag #TalkToMe and tag your friends in the description, and remember to make the video public if you'd like it to be featured on HuffPost!
A #TalkToMe Video In 5 Easy Steps
1) Prepare your questions!
Below are some some suggested questions (more great ideas are here) but of course you're welcome to use your own.
- Tell me something you’ve never told me.
- What do you wish you knew when you were my age?
- Tell me the story of the happiest moment you've ever had.
- What is the hardest challenge you've faced in your life?
- What’s the biggest lesson you’d like to pass onto future generations?
- What are some of the little things you did for yourself or our family that made the biggest impact?
- If you could have one wish for me and my children, what would it be?
- If you had to choose one role model for me, who would it be and why?
2) Get a great shot
Key pointers for shooting video with your phone:
- Set your phone on something stable and at eye line with both participants. This is better than having either a third person filming.
- Sit at a 45-degree angle facing each other (not straight at each other or straight ahead). Look at each other, not the camera!
- Light in front of you makes the shot better, light behind you makes it worse.
3) Tell your friends what you're up to
A great description will capture your friends' attention and help them understand what your broadcast is about.
Try: "Here I am with [my parent/child], taking part in The Huffington Post's Talk To Me series highlighting important conversations between generations. Make your own on Facebook Live! #TalkToMe"
4) Go live with a strong connection
Check your phone to make sure that you have a strong signal before going live. Try to find a location where you're on wifi or have at least a 4G connection.
You can also download the Speedtest app from the app store. Higher than 1 Mbps upload speed is good speed for broadcasting (the higher, the better).
5) Use the hashtag #TalkToMe, and tag some friends!
Once you've finished your interview, tell your family and friends to do the same. And remember to make the video public if you'd like it to be featured on HuffPost!