While I may have earned myself the nickname 'Rebel Yogi' on a recent yoga sailing trip in Turkey, I suppose it's sounds healthier than just 'rebel', right?
I drink alcohol, I eat meat and sugar, I miss a class here and there... so what?
I started practicing yoga early last year in an attempt to find some kind of activity that didn't make me want to claw my eyes out, which is how I feel entering a conventional gym. Something I could keep up for life, that I could do any time, anywhere. That didn't need a lot of expensive equipment and that didn't feel like a chore. I'm glad I started and while I wish I'd picked it up sooner, you need to be in the right mind frame -- my younger self didn't have the patience.
It might not be for everyone, but I urge you to give it a go at least once. Here are ten reasons why you should start yoga right now.
1. You can do it with a beer in your hand. Joking (kind of). My point here is about balance, I'm never going to give up having fun... ever. So it makes sense that if I want to make it to old age, there needs to be some form of yang to my yin.
2. Physical balance too. This is essential for stuff like, you know, not falling over.
3. It's an absolutely excellent excuse to wear 'yoga pants' instead of regular pants, i.e. justify wearing leggings to work.
4. You don't have to wash your hair after, unless it's hot yoga... in that case be prepared for the 'fro you never knew you had.
5. You don't use your phone for an hour. Sixty entire minutes. This point is great for my frown lines, thumbs and iPhone battery.
6. It strengthens your core and in turn helps with posture and your back. Who doesn't want better posture and a back that doesn't ache?
7. There are tonnes of yoga holidays you can go on. This is not a retreat, it's a holiday where you do yoga and other fun active stuff and come back with a tan, more mind space and probably a few pounds lighter. Unless, like me, you can even take balance to the extreme and make up the deficit in white wine.
Yoga and hiking in the French Alps with Yoganic Moves
8. It keeps you regular. There, I said it.
9. You just need a mat, that's all. It's really not even compulsory, you can practice yoga on grass, sand, carpet, whatever. You don't even need to go to a class! There are lots of free classes online you can follow at home, I like Erin Motz, Bad Yogi on YouTube. If you're in Dublin, make sure to check out Yoga Hub, positive vibes only in that place.
10. And breathe. The pressure some people put on themselves to go on faddy 'detox' diets, (when the entire idea has been discredited as an utter sham, because that's your liver's role) and all you really need to do is b-r-e-a-t-h-e for the ultimate body cleanse is cray.