Rep. Tulsi Gabbard took a selfie while watching the Senate Democrats filibuster on Wednesday:
The filibuster was an effort by Senator Chris Murphy and other Democrats to make Republicans act on gun violence, specifically to vote on a bill to block those on the FBI’s terrorist watch list from obtaining guns.
Back in the House, a bill that would achieve an equivalent objective (H.R. 1076) was introduced on February 25, 2015 by Republican Congressman Peter King to prohibit “the sale or distribution of firearms or explosives to any individual whom the Attorney General has determined to be engaged in terrorist activities.” H.R. 1076 has been co-sponsored by 107 Democrats (9 signed on following the Orlando shooting). Tulsi Gabbard is not among the co-sponsors.
In fact, Rep. Gabbard has declined to co-sponsor any common sense gun control legislation, including H.R.4269— the Assault Weapons Ban of 2015 — which is co-sponsored by 125 of Gabbard’s fellow Democrats. Here are the other nine gun bills that Gabbard has NOT supported:
- H.R.4748—Imported Assault Weapons Ban of 2016
- H.R.3926 — Gun Violence Research Act
- H.R.3411 — Fix Gun Checks Act of 2015
- H.R.2380 — Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2015
- H.R.1745 — Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for our Streets Act
- H.R.752 — Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act
- H.R.226 — Keeping Guns from High Risk Individuals Act
- H.R.225 — Firearm Safety Act of 2015
- H.R.224 — To require the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service to submit to Congress an annual report on the effects of gun violence on public health.
If Tulsi Gabbard does not support common sense gun laws, she should let the residents of her district know that before they go to the polls this August. If she does support these gun laws, she needs to join her fellow Democrats (and some Republicans) and co-sponsor the above bills immediately.
Taking a selfie while others act is not what servant leaders do.