by The Editors of Condé Nast Traveler.
Each year, Steve Leatherman--also known as Dr. Beach--evaluates America's seashores based on criteria like water, safety, and sand quality. A recent list was released and unsurprisingly, the top ten is stacked with strips of sand in Hawaii the Carolinas, and Florida--which, with three beaches in the list, had more than any other state.
5. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
4. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
3. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
2. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Florida
1. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Oahu, Hawaii
More from Condé Nast Traveler: