These leadership challenges will come to define your approach in entrepreneurship.
The most significant part of being an entrepreneur is being a leader. You're the one making the decisions, setting the vision, and rallying the team -- so it's on you to direct your startup's growth and own that leadership role. Unfortunately, leadership isn't all about making speeches and taking credit for company successes; over the course of your time as entrepreneur, you'll face several major challenges that threaten to derail your entire position.
These are five of the biggest tests of leadership every entrepreneur eventually must face:
1. Setting a vision. You're in charge of creating the vision for your company and team, and that has to do with more than just setting financial targets. What is your company going to be like? What values are you going to set?
2. Documenting the plan. It's not enough to have a plan in the back of your mind. You have to formally document it; otherwise, the accountability is gone. This includes formalizing your strategies and processes and making them available to your team.
3. Overcoming the roadblock. Sooner or later, you'll run into a critical roadblock that threatens to derail your plans. How you respond to this roadblock is everything -- it will dictate how easily your company recovers as well as how your team perceives you.
4. Making the hard decision. You're the decision maker, and not all of your decisions will be easy. In fact, some of them will keep you up at night. When it comes down to it, you have to pull the trigger -- even if you aren't sure.
5. Listening to your team. A good leader always makes time to listen to his/her team. Gather feedback, and use that feedback to make meaningful changes in your organization.
These challenges will arise, inevitably, for the vast majority of entrepreneurs. What matters isn't whether or not they emerge, but how you choose to deal with them when the time comes. There's no right or wrong answer, but your approach will come to define you -- as well as the startup you've poured so much effort into.
Bio: Jose Vasquez is a serial entrepreneur and tech enthusiast dedicated to helping startup technology companies get the direction and momentum they need to succeed. As the founder of Build. Brand. Blast., Jose has established a collective resource for tech entrepreneurs to consult when brainstorming, creating, launching, or expanding a new business. Jose is also the founder and CEO of Quez Media Marketing, a marketing firm that combines technology and creativity to help new and growing companies get the results they need.