Who doesn't love French toast?! But get it at your favorite breakfast house, and you'll be eating nothing but refined garbage that's actually a dessert.
The only way to enjoy it as a healthy meal is to make it yourself. If you use the recipe below, it will not only be delicious, it will be the healthiest French toast you've ever had...and you can eat it without the guilt.
Here's a comparison of ingredients between the typical French toast recipe and a healthy one:
White Bread -- 100% Sprouted Grain Bread
Refined Sugar -- No Added Sugar; Just Pure Organic Cinnamon
Milk (Homogenized/Pasteurized) -- Non-Dairy Milk (Coconut, Almond, Cashew)
Eggs (Caged/Pasteurized) -- Free-Range Eggs
Pancake Syrup (Refined White Sugar) -- Real Maple Syrup
Adding to its healthy side, this French toast isn't fried in a skillet, but rather baked in the oven at a low temperature, eliminating unwanted oxidation of the eggs that happens with the browning of any foods on a hot griddle.
This recipe comes together easily, once you have all the right ingredients.
Give it a try, and it just makes you feel good knowing you're eating healthfully.
1. Do one of two things:
Lightly toast 4 slices of sprouted grain bread, or
Leave bread out overnight to dry out
2. Mix together:
4-5 free-range eggs
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
1-2 tsp organic Ceylon cinnamon
3. Pour the mixture into a rectangular pan, and lay the dried bread into the mixture. Let sit a few minutes then turn over and let soak again. Keep turning every few minutes, for about 5-10 minutes to soak up as much liquid as possible.
4. In a rectangular baking pan, lay a piece of parchment paper on the bottom.
5. Lay the soaked bread onto the parchment paper.
A variation that can be done is as follows:
6. On top of each piece of French toast, place a layer of fresh (or frozen) fruit, then top it with another slice of French toast.
7. Heat the oven to 290 degrees
8. Cover the pan with foil, and place in the preheated oven.
9. Bake for 30 minutes.
10. Top with raw butter and pure maple syrup.