Labor Day weekend is the perfect time to experience everything summer has to offer. From family BBQs to naps on the beach, there's nothing quite like long balmy weekends. It's so beneficial for our mind and bodies to enjoy the great outdoors as much as possible.
Incorporate water and exercise into the mix and you'll be feeling on top of the world. Working out in the water reduces stress, crushes calories, improves mood and increases flexibility. It's also low impact and very easy on the joints.
There are many exercises you can do in the water, whether you are in a pool or ocean. You will have fun, work hard, feel amazing afterward and notice some beautiful changes in your body.
How it works: Perform the prescribed number of yards and then rest for 30 seconds in between each. Do three sets.
You will need: A cap and goggles to make this experience fluid. I always put conditioner in my hair before I put on my cap to protect my locks.
1. Warm Up: 200 yards at a slow/moderate pace.
2. 4x50 yards at a fast pace
3. Rest 30 seconds
4. 3x100 yards at a fast pace
5. Rest 30 seconds
6. 2x300 yards at a moderate pace
7. Rest 30 seconds
8. Repeat the series two more times
How it works: Perform the high-intensity intervals on any ocean equipment you'd like. Do three sets.
You will need: Any one of the following: paddle board, kayak, surf board or cap and goggles. It is also helpful to have a water proof watch to time the intervals.
1. Warm up for five minutes at a moderate pace.
2. Sprint for one minute.
3. Moderate pace for two minutes.
4. Sprint for one minute.
5. Moderate pace for two minutes.
6. Sprint for one minute.
7. Moderate pace for two minutes.
8. Repeat the workout two more times.