"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Einstein
"It would be very difficult to explain why the Universe would have begun in just this way, except as the act of a God who intended to create beings like us." - Steven Hawking
"A theology that contradicts the known facts of science including the laws of physics, chemistry, biology, cosmo-genesis and evolution is obsolete and rightfully so. A science that reduces the rich inner life of consciousness to raw data is absurd and also obsolete." - Deepak Chopra
Today, 3/14 , is Einstein's birthday and the day of the debate at Cal-Tech on the Future of God. (3.14 is also Pi, another amazing coincidence.)
I would like to offer the following ideas on the Future of God: A New Theory of the Divine.
1. God is Infinite Consciousness. Consciousness is awareness, before thinking starts, before perception happens, before neural activity, before there is relationship with space-time, before there is subject-object split.
2. God is the agent of downward causation.
3. God is the consciousness that differentiates into space, time, energy information and matter.
4. Cosmogenesis, Biopoesis Evolution : The principle of parsimony (Occam's razor) dictates that God is the author of the Big Bang (neither big nor noisy) a moment where a point of infinite density and zero volume starts creation in an instant. For the first 10-43 seconds of this moment of creation, the laws of creation do not exist and are essentially unknowable. At 10-43 seconds universal constants are arbitrarily assigned. These are about 20, including the mass of the neutron, speed of light, gravitational constant, charge of the electron, strong and weak force etc. From then on cosmogenesis proceeds automatically obeying the universal laws that have been set in motion. 10 billion years later our sun appears and starts to fragment pieces of itself to create its own solar system, including planet earth 30 million years after the formation of the sun. Because of conditions already set in motion, a biosphere is created and soon abiogenesis or biopoesis happens, an unknown and possibly unknowable process by which inanimate matter becomes DNA. From then on, microorganisms (chemolithoautotrophic hyperthermophiles) start to differentiate into the teeming diversity of life through gene variation and natural selection.
Photosynthesis develops around 2.5 billion years ago. Evolution proceeds naturally once set in motion through gene variation and natural selection. The current state of this process is homo sapiens and an exquisite nervous system through which consciousness becomes conscious of itself through us.
5. Each moment of time a new universe is created. Fundamentally the universe is a discontinuity. In each moment of time the universe is not only recreated but also evolves. This recreation happens in the Gap where consciousness resides. The Gap is: (a) a super position of possibilities (b) a field of infinite non local correlation, dynamic and kinematic (c) a field of quantum creativity (d) an intention field, (the observer effect) -- where consciousness collapses its possibility waves into space -- time events, which are measured out as motion, energy, information and matter.
All this happens in the unified field -- the mind of God.