The Huffington Post’s Good News vertical has an immediate opening for an associate editor who is, quite simply, obsessed with the Internet.
Do you communicate with your friends in GIFs? Do you have airtight journalism standards? Can you write both fast and accurately? Is making a difference important to you? Love sloths? Then this job is for you.
You'll basically have the best job on the Internet: Sourcing and writing uplifting, constructive, productive stories that go viral.
You will be asked to pitch/write stories and brainstorm new ideas. Of utmost importance, associate editors will source and write stories for our What's Working initiative, which focuses on solutions-based journalism.
We're also looking for video experience: shooting/conceiving of/editing/packaging/
Applicants should be ambitious self-starters eager to learn and contribute in a fast-paced, fun environment.
- Pitching and producing shareable content for a social media audience
- Monitoring breaking news and identifying viral stories
- Pitching unique ways of packaging stories and video
- Writing clever sharable headlines
- Researching, writing, fact-checking
- Administrative tasks
- Managing Facebook and Twitter accounts
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor's degree
- Video experience in some capacity: conceiving of/editing/on-air, etc.
- Minimum one year journalism experience
- A distinct voice and a point of view!
- Insatiable appetite for news and information
- Strong research and writing skills
- Enamored with the power and influence of social media
- Creativity and confidence to share your unique perspective and ideas
- Ability to receive constructive criticism professionally, and quickly apply the feedback
- A demonstrated excitement about HuffPost’s editorial mission
Please have a knack for:
- Being as accurate as you are fast
- Multitasking in a way that can make your head spin at times
- Pitching ideas and not waiting for assignments to be handed down
- Thinking outside the box at all times
This job is based in AOL’s New York office in Greenwich Village.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and three clips to goodnewshiring@huffingtonpost.