Is there anything good about Mondays?
I saw this question come across my Facebook feed and it really got me thinking. Why is it we dread Mondays so much? Is there a reason so many people get the “Sunday blues”, or feel stressed and overworked on Mondays?
Here are some reasons people seem to hate Mondays:
- You have to go back to work after enjoying the weekend off.
- You can’t sleep in anymore.
- You may have stayed up too late Sunday so you wake up still tired on Monday.
- You don’t like your job and hate going back to it on Monday.
- You don’t feel like you got enough done on your weekend and/or you wanted more time to rest and relax.
- You have to face a week of long commutes.
- You didn’t properly prepare for Monday/ the new week ahead.
- Everyone else seems to hate Mondays, too.
- You don’t love what you do/ you hate your job.
- You don’t enjoy the people you work with.
These are just a few common reasons that people give for hating Mondays. So, let’s think about it for a minute. Is it really Monday that they hate? Maybe it’s that Monday signifies the end to a weekend of freedom. Maybe it’s that it means back to a job they hate, or to doing something that doesn’t make them feel fulfilled. Monday really isn’t the problem here. The problem lies in what Monday represents. How do you fix it?
The easiest fix is with your own mindset. No one else can tell you what to think and feel, and just because other people hate Mondays doesn’t mean you have to. Monday can be a great day, or just like any other day. It’s all in how you look at it. You need to set yourself up for a positive Monday each and every week. Once you start this habit, you’ll find it gets easier and easier.
Here are some reasons to love Mondays:
- It’s a fresh start and a new beginning. Here’s your clean slate to undo anything that went wrong on the weekend or last week, and to work toward your personal and professional goals.
- This is meant to be your most productive day of the week. Think of all the things you can check off your to-do list!
- You have a whole week ahead of you to get things done.
- If you need to go shopping, it’s the best day of the week to find a sale or bargain.
- The idea of hating Monday is really only a myth/illusion. Toss the idea out of your mind and you’ll already start to feel better about this day.
Here’s what you need to tell yourself when Mondays come around: “What day is it? It is today, my favorite day.”
Mondays only suck if you want them to. Or if you work at an aimless soul-sucking 9-5 job. You can change your life and you can make every day a wonderful day. The power to be happy lies with you and you alone. No one else can control this and a day of the week certainly doesn’t control it. Take back your Mondays starting today!
What do you love about Mondays?