Don’t pull out of your agreement to take the latest Week to Week News Quiz and see how up-to-date you are on the news.
Here are some random but real hints: Syria and Nicaragua agree with him; she says his family has been bullying her; he’s still a young 74; and they presumably bring it back the next day if people aren’t home. Answers are below the quiz.
1. President Trump announced plans to pull the United States out of what international agreement?
a. The Geneva Conventions
b. The International Campaign to Ban Landmines
c. The Paris climate accord
d. The nuclear non-proliferation treaty
2. Trump’s poll numbers are rising. What do 43 percent of voters now say about him?
a. They support his domestic policy agenda
b. They agree with his policy toward the European Union
c. They support his impeachment
d. They support his immigration ban
3. President Trump and his supporters lashed out at a comedian. Why?
a. Dennis Miller urged his audience to mail a million empty candy wrappers to the White House
b. Amy Schumer burned an American flag at a rally with her cousin Sen. Chuck Schumer
c. Larry Wilmore urged his Twitter followers to tweet fake news to Trump’s Twitter followers
d. Kathy Griffin shared a photo of her holding a fake severed head that looked like Trump
4. In her now-famous “beer tent speech,” German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Europe could no longer always rely upon whom?
a. The United States and the UK
b. Russia and Ukraine
c. The United Nations
d. Russian troops
5. The Pentagon successfully did what in a test on Tuesday?
a. Infiltrated Russian computer hackers
b. Intercepted and destroyed a missile
c. Bought an airplane that costs less than $100 million
d. Withdrew its final troops from Syria
6. Ousted FBI Director James Comey is expected to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee next week about what?
a. The location of Russian Spetsnaz special forces in the United States
b. Trump’s alleged attempt to get him to drop an investigation into national security advisor Michael Flynn
c. Hillary Clinton’s emails
d. Inter-agency rivalry with the CIA
7. What Democratic politician set off presidential campaign talk by setting up a new political action committee?
a. Joe Biden
b. Hillary Clinton
c. Elizabeth Warren
d. Andrew Cuomo
8. Why was the new Wonder Woman movie banned in Lebanon?
a. The government culture minister said too many Western films were filling up Lebanon’s cinemas
b. The lead actor is Israeli
c. The film is too violent
d. The lead character shows too much cleavage
9. Russian President Vladimir Putin denied claims that his government had hacked the U.S. election, but he did say someone else might be responsible. Who?
a. Hillary Clinton
b. “My enemies in Siberia”
c. “Patriotically inclined” Russian citizens
d. Jared Kushner
10. Leo Varadkar is the new taoiseach (prime minister) of Ireland. Which one of the following is not true about him?
a. He’s Ireland’s youngest-ever prime minister
b. He’s gay
c. He’s half-Irish, half-Indian
d. He doesn’t speak a word of Gaelic
BONUS. Walmart has a new task for its employees as they head home from work. What is it?
a. Pick up discarded magazines from recycling bins to sell at the store the next day
b. Pick up litter from the store’s parking lot
c. Deliver packages to customers
d. Memorize the company’s 20-page employee manual
9. c (he also said that even children could hack an election, so “patriotically inclined” Russian kids might be at fault).
One more question: Want the live news quiz experience? Join us Monday, June 5 in San Francisco for our next lively Week to Week political roundtable with a news quiz (and chocolate prizes!) and a social hour at The Commonwealth Club of California. Panelists include Marisa Lagos, C.W. Nevius, and Randy Shandobil.
Explanations of the hints: Syria and Nicaragua agree with him: Those two countries are the only other nations besides the United States that refuse to be a part of the Paris climate deal; she says his family has been bullying her: But Griffin says she’s going to mock the president even more now; he’s still a young 74: Joe Biden would still be younger than 80 when the next presidential election comes around; and they presumably bring it back the next day if people aren’t home: the company’s store employees are being asked to deliver packages to customers (for extra pay, it should be noted).