I love travel quotes, especially those that are inspirational, amusing or stimulate wanderlust through their wisdom. So I decided to let six of my favourite quotes describe the wonder of travel and why adventure far from home is such a fulfilling experience...
1. "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."
- Saint Augustine
What wonderful words these are. Do you really want to go through your life only having read one page of a book that will give you personal insights into other cultures, religions, lifestyles and food? Personally, I'd rather experience a place just once than hear about it a thousand times.
2. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
This is probably my favourite of all travel quotes. Think for a moment about what the author is saying. It's a plea to not grow old with regrets about dreams that you didn't fulfil when you had the opportunity. It's very motivating because I couldn't imagine a worst form of discontent than this.
3. "We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open."
- Jawaharial Nehru
There's no other quote I know of that captures the essence of excitement through travel than this one. The sentiment being conveyed is so true. A world of beauty, charm and adventure indeed awaits us. All we have to do is be open to the possibilities and make the choice to enjoy them.
4. "I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world."
- Mary Anne Radmacher
This beautiful quote captures the fact that travel is a life changing experience. It is an education beyond any book or classroom. It'll leave you speechless at the time and then turn you into a great storyteller. The confidence it will offer you will continue to manifest itself in many areas of your life.
5. "I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth. Then I ask myself the same question."
- Harun Yahya
Isn't this a great piece of philosophy? It's essentially asking what explanation we could possibly have for not travelling and exploring this wonderful world? It's a reminder that the planet is a smaller place than it was and we can now reach the far corners of it. I can't imagine a good reason not to.
6. "The more you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you'll go."
- Dr. Seuss
You can't help but love Dr. Seuss. With beautiful rhyming simplicity, he captures the sense of free spirited fun that travel should be. This quote always makes me smile because his words for a child resonate strongly in the mind of an adult. They describe how reading and learning inspires travel dreams and everyone can relate to that.
All that remains after that is to start living your travel dreams.