Some places in Illinois have earned a spot on a violent list yet again. Of the communities on this list, four can be found in Illinois.
For many Americans in residential neighborhoods, violence and crime remain a concern. According to recent crime data analyzed by NeighborhoodScout, Illinois has four of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. NeighborhoodScout looks at FBI data collected by 17,000 local law enforcement agencies in order to determine which neighborhoods made the list. Crimes analyzed include murder, rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault.
NeighborhoodScout explained how it develops its rankings:
We then researched and developed mathematical algorithms to statistically estimate the incidences of violent crimes for each neighborhood in America. The resultant formulae produce numbers of crimes and crime rates for neighborhoods with upwards of 90 percent accuracy in most cases. We use a total of twenty different formulas to increase the accuracy of our estimates, and apply them based on city or town characteristics, to produce the best model fit in each case.
We do this same process for every neighborhood in the United States, due to the agency-centric way that crimes are reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, rather than reporting crime in a location-centric way. That is, our analysis is not to find the agencies who report the most violent crimes, but rather the neighborhoods which have the highest rates of violent crime, as reported by all of the agencies with law enforcement responsibility within the neighborhood's respective city or town.
25. Philadelphia, PA (N. 15th St/W Dauphin St) has a violent crime rate of 57.87 per 1,000
24. Chicago, IL (S. Pulaski Rd/W Adams St) has a violent crime rate of 57.90 per 1,000
23. Kansas City, MO (Brush Creek Blvd/Prospect Ave) has a violent crime rate of 61.46 per 1,000
22. Memphis, TN (Thomas St/Frayser Blvd) has a violent crime rate of 64.53 per 1,000
21. Saginaw, MI (Perkins St/S 17th St) has a violent crime rate of 64.91 per 1,000
20. Jackson, TN (James Buchanan Dr/1st st) has a violent crime rate of 68.39 per 1,000
19. Rockford, IL (Kishwaukee St/Grove St) has a violent crime rate of 68.65 per 1,000
18. Milwaukee, WI (W Clybourn St/N 27th St) has a violent crime rate of 69.45 per 1,000
17. East St. Louis, IL (Caseyville Ave/N Park Dr) has a violent crime rate of 70.10 per 1,000
16. Detroit, MI (Trumbull St/Lincoln St) has a violent crime rate of 71.39 per 1,000
15. Oakland, CA (West Oakland) has a violent crime rate of 72.23 per 1,000
To see where another neighborhood in East St. Louis ranks in the top 14 dangerous neighborhoods, check out Reboot Illinois.
- Top 10 Illinois Counties with the Most Sex Offenders Per Capita
- How many people in your county have concealed carry licenses?
- Top 10 Illinois Counties with the Most Reported Rapes
- Top 25 Illinois Counties with the Most DUI Arrests
- Want to tell your elected officials what you think of the state of government in Illinois? Use our Sound Off tool!