For W magazine, by Jane Larkworthy.
The hairstyle made famous by Louise Brooks is cropping up everywhere--with some interesting twists. On the Rodarte fall 2016 runway, several models sported "broken" bobs, with jagged bangs; at Alexander Wang, the 'dos were severe and blunt, one so short it grazed the tops of the model's ears rather than her jawline. Here, Normant offers yet another variation on the theme, creating a sort of '70s bowl with a few clamps of a curling iron. "By adding volume with the curl, but leaving the bangs flat, it creates a kind of asymmetry," he says. "Mess the back up a little for a completely different look."
1. The Original: Louise Brooks, 1926.
2. The First Lady: Jacqueline Kennedy, 1961.
3. The Funny Girl: Barbra Streisand, 1969.
4. The Badass: Pam Grier, 1974.
5. The Ingenue: Natalie Portman in Léon: The Professional, 1994.
More from W Magazine: