BOSTON, March 27 (Reuters) - Boston Mayor Tom Menino, a Democrat who has run the city for almost two decades, will not seek a sixth term, the Boston Globe reported on its website Wednesday night.
Menino will announce his decision at a Thursday afternoon news conference, the newspaper said. Staff at the mayor's office could not be reached for immediate comment.
The 70-year-old mayor was hospitalized for a month last year for a virus and back pain that cut short an Italian vacation.
A decision not to seek re-election would set the stage for Boston's most competitive mayoral race since 1993, when Menino first won the office.
So far, only one candidate, city councilor John Connolly, has declared an intention to run, though observers said aspirants may have held off jumping into the race, waiting to see if Menino would seek re-election. (Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Philip Barbara)