It's shiny and glittery and symbolizes the festive spirit of the holidays, but it turns out that Christmas tinsel was also once very unsafe.
The sparkly Christmas decoration used to be made out of aluminum paper, and was long considered a fire hazard. Then came the era of lead-based tinsel, which was discontinued in the '70s when researchers found it to be unsafe for children.
But fear not: today's plastic tinsel carries no health risks -- or at least none that we know of.
Watch the HuffPost Live clip above to hear more about the history of tinsel.
Sign up here for Live Today, HuffPost Live's new morning email that will let you know the newsmakers, celebrities and politicians joining us that day and give you the best clips from the day before!