“Rita went through a tougher time than I did. She had a much higher fever. She had lost her sense of taste and sense of smell,” the Academy Award-winning actor said on the National Defense Radio Show last week. “She got absolutely no joy from food for actually the better part of three weeks.”
Later in the show, Hanks said Wilson was “so nauseous, she had to crawl on the floor from the bed to the facilities.”
His own symptoms were a little milder, at least by comparison.
“I had some bad body aches and was very fatigued,” he said.
Hanks said he tried to exercise for 30 minutes ― describing it as stretching and “old man kind of things” ― but couldn’t make it through.
“I was wiped after 12 minutes,” he said. “I laid down in my groovy hospital bed there and slept for like an hour and a half.”
Hanks said they still don’t know how they got the infection that initially hospitalized them for three days in Australia.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus and grief
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.