There are many marketing and advertising books out there worth reading, too many to get into a list of the best marketing and advertising books. I wanted to make a list of my own. Whether you're studying advertising, or are a professional practicing the craft there are hundreds of books worth digesting. And as one might expect, there are some that are better known and some that are simply better for you. If you're in the marketing, advertising, communications, public relations, branding, design or anything else, these books should have a permanent place in your library.
1. Eating the Big Fish by Adam Morgan
Into beating the long established brands at their own game or revitalizing an existing brand this is a must read. It's exceptional.
2. Ogilvy On Advertising by David Ogilvy
An oldie but goldie. Expected information but worth the read. Ogilvy On Advertising is considered an advertising bible.
3. From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor by Jerry Della Femina
4. Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable by Seth Godin
Seth Godin's best book.
5. Truth, Lies & Advertising: The Art of Account Planning by Jon Steel
My favorite marketing book growing up.
6. Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind by Al Ries and Jack Trout
7. Made With (a soon to be released new book by John Grant)
One of my favorite thinkers is about to launch his new book, the image above is one of his great books too).
8. A Technique for Producing Ideas by James Webb Young
The foreword by Bill Bernbach, one of the greatest advertising professionals who ever lived, should be enough to let you know that this is a gem. And although published in 1965 (from a presentation first delivered in 1939) it's timeless advice to help copywriters, art directors, designers and planners jump-start their creative juices. If (or when) you hit a creative wall, this book will help you hammer it down.
9. Drive by Daniel Pink
What motivates people? Fascinating read.
10. Rules for Revolutionaries by Guy Kawasaki
The inspiration behind my ad agency StrawberryFrog
11. Fascinate by Sally Hogshead
Love love love this book.