Last week I attempted to convince you that "D.C. style" is not an oxymoron by highlighting what makes D.C. unique -- a true world capital, cosmopolitan, stylish, and fashion-forward. In case the specific characteristics I discussed last week didn't convince you, here is another look at D.C. style, focusing this time on some of the city's most stylish residents. Here are their answers to these five questions:
1. Describe your fashion style in three words.
2. What fashion item have you bought most recently?
3. What fashion item in your closet to you cherish above all else?
4. What is the fashion item that is on number one on your wish list?
5. Where do you shop most in D.C.?
Marlene Hu Aldaba, owner of Hu's Shoes and Hu's Wear
1. Available for purchase...
2. Crystal, rock-stud strappy pumps from Valentino.
3. A vintage YSL clutch from my mom. It was the first thing she purchased after leaving communist China.
4. A raw diamond cuff from Dezso by Sara Beltran
5. Contemporaria for home furnishings, Johnson's Nursery for all things green, Karma Salon for hair/makeup products.
Tina Alster, MD
Tina Alster, MD, Director of the Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery and Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Georgetown University Medical Center
1. Modern Chic.
2. Black leather vest by The Row.
3. My Hermes Birkin bag in black.
4. Azzedine Alaia knit dress in a fun summer color.
5. Hu's Shoes (Georgetown), Relish (Cady's Alley).
Stephanie Green, writer and photographer for Bloomberg Muse, the arts and leisure section of Bloomberg News.
1. Less is more.
2. Prabal Gurung black cape. It's very goth chic, but doesn't scare small children away.
3. My converses.
4. A guitar. What a fabulous accessory, and I really want to learn to play!
5. Georgetown flea market. It is a great place to find lovely little things. I have a blue cameo brooch from there that I get tons of comments on. I'm proud to say it's only $10.
Mona Hamdy, Director, Office of HRH Princess Haifa Al Faisal
1. Eclectic. Comfortable. Feminine.
2. A three-ply silk jumpsuit by Isoude. I think it's what Jackie O. would have worn if she were one of the Charlie's Angels! I'm either going to wear it to the Academy of Art graduation in San Francisco, or for the opening reception of the Cash and Rocket charity car rally in Barcelona this summer. But with a pair of periwinkle Bloch flats. I don't think I can drive a vintage car in platform Gina sandals...
3. The Mona Bag, by HRH Princess Reema Bandar's accessories line, BaraBoux. It's the perfect travel handbag, holds everything, and goes from day to night without skipping a beat. Plus the leather and color are just sumptuous. I'm flattered she named such a functional, flattering prototype after me.
4. A vintage YSL smoking suit.
5. Relish and Muleh have the most quirky collection of thoughtful pieces. I love the pop up stores in Cady's Alley... I think those are serious skinny mirrors in the dressing room because I always end up buying way more than I anticipate. The treasure-filled salons at Saks Jandel make me feel like I'm in a really swanky episode of Mad Men. It's a throwback and totally modern all at the same time.
Lana Orloff, personal stylist and the owner of Lana Orloff Style Consulting Company
1. I would describe my personal style as classic and feminine.
2. Metallic colors and fabrics are in this spring, so I bought a metallic Fendi platform sandal.
3. My shoes... and a certain Dolce & Gabbana dress that I bought a few years ago. I think it will always be a staple in my closet. It's timeless...
4. There is a beautiful red Nancy Gonzalaz bag that I saw in New York. I would definitely put is on my wish list this season!
5. My favorite places in D.C. to shop are Hu's wear and Hu's shoes, Muleh and Tyson's Galleria.
Holly Thomas, Washington D.C. editor for Refinery29 and co-founder of Butler & Claypool
1. Vintage, rock 'n' roll, tomboy.
2. A Breton stripe sweatshirt and a retro pinup-style bathing suit.
3. A turquoise bracelet my boyfriend bought me while on tour out West.
4. Really great shoes -- deciding between Acne boots and Loeffler Randall sandals.
5. Redeem, Dr. K's, and Hu's Wear (if window-shopping counts!).
Aureta Thomollari -- Entrepreneur and Luxury Consultant
1. Eclectic, artistic and moody.
2. Black Chanel leather cut-off gloves.
3. A little purse my grandmother made for me when I was five years old.
4. Green Crocodile Hermes Birkin.
5. Santa Maria Novella and Inga's Once is Not Enough.
Anchyi Wei, Visual Designer
1. Creative, architectural, modern-vintage (oops is that four words?).
2. These Louboutin Manovra studded slingbacks -- the shorter heel for carrying the baby bump.
3. This Mary Katrantzou dress for the graphical prints and unique silhouette.
4. Currently, a Christopher Kane piece like this lace dress from Fall 2013 collection (if I was rich).
5. Dr. K's Vintage, Hu's Wear, Secondi.
Andre A. Wells, Owner/Producer, Events by Andre' Wells
1. Elegant, colorful and fun.
2. Gucci black lace up.
3. All of my Ralph Lauren suits: they are not only well made but they stand the test of time. The fabrics are incredible and the suits wear even better with time.
4. A beautiful made barn jacket and haven't been able to find it yet.
5. Everards Clothing, Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth Avenue.