In the age of bottomless options (cue, Netflix) it's no wonder so many millennials find it difficult to make a decision. And now, said millennials are dropping out of the baby boomers view of the workforce and entering into co-working spaces in order pursue their dreams of creating the next best Farkle app!
It need not surprise us that millennials, myself included, are intrinsically seeking how to better their business models and their working environments. And so, how should a 20-something seek to properly invest in 2016? Let's take a look:
- Resolve to Read More 86% of the world's wealthiest people love to read. That was enough reason for me to request this stack of books for Christmas! If you aren't a lover of reading, or if you're always on the go, there's no harm in downloading an audio book! Or, instead of playing one of those Farkle apps on your commuter train, pick up an e-book. A whopping 88% of wealthy people read at least 30 minutes a day. Commit to reading at least that much and watch how much you'll grow in twelve months time!
- Write down your goal down. But, for real this time! 67% of the wealthy also write down their goals. If you're seeing a theme here, good! If you're not here's a hint: the theme is old school! In the digital age of technology, 2016 will surely prove to elevate our use of digitized operations. And yet, there's a nostalgia and a heir of commitment when it comes to putting pen to post-it note. Write down your top 5 goals for 2016 and place them above your desk, on your mirror, in your planner - anywhere tangible! A spreadsheet does not count. Writing our goals and posting them for all to see will help you hold yourself to reaching new heights in the year ahead!
- Get a Mentor I've heard is said that 93% of the world's wealthiest people recruited someone to help them pave the pathway to success. Finding a mentor can be a strain on your pocket book at first but the reward will far exceed the payout. Here's the kicker though: your mentor doesn't have to be exactly like you. The first business coach I ever hired was who I thought I wanted to be. 3 months later, I'd determined that I wanted to be someone different - I wanted to hold myself to different standards and shape my business under another umbrella. I learned many lessons from that coach that helped form and shape me into the leader that I am today. And the leader that I want to become is being molded under the care and mentorship of someone else who is walking their own path and helping me pave my own. So, get out there this year and seek a mentor! You may discover something about yourself you'll be thankful for in 2017.
- Learn a New Trade Something. Anything. Crafting, knitting, woodwork, coding, design, you name it. Pick a topic that is outside the realm of your practice. Doing so will help you expand your boundaries and open up your heart and mind to new operations, possibilities, practices, and visions!
- GO Somewhere! Dubai or Detroit. Rome or RV camping. Cancun or Connecticut. Go somewhere and meet people, take pictures, eat weird food, walk roads you've never seen before and breathe in new air. Go for a day, a weekend, a week, or even a few hours during your lunch break. Much like learning a new trade, traveling is good for the mind, heart and soul. Take those experiences back to your office, your business partner, your investors - infuse what you've learned, seen and heard into what you're creating for 2016. A year from now you'll look back and be thankful that you won't be able to recognize the person, and the business, you are today.
Now that you have equipped yourself with five easy and actionable must-dos for 2016 it's time to start thriving! January will come and go before you blink twice and the first quarter will arrive in nanoseconds! Will you be able to look back on 2016 and say with confidence that you reached higher, pushed further and challenged yourself more than ever before?
To receive valuable information and a special offer, join my mailing list.