The teenage boy accused of shooting four people at Townville Elementary School in South Carolina last week was charged with murder on Monday after a 6-year-old boy died from his injuries.
South Carolina 10th Circuit Court Solicitor Chrissy Adams announced new charges against the 14-year-old accused shooter, upgrading a previous charge of attempted murder to murder in the death of first grader Jacob Hall, 6, who was shot in the leg. Jacob died on Saturday after “fighting for his life,” according to the fire chief.
The teenager, who has not been named in court because of his age, is now charged as a juvenile with two counts of murder ― one for the child and one for his father, 47-year-old Jeffrey Osborne, and with three counts of attempted murder. Osborne was found shot to death in his home two miles from the school.
New charges filed against the teen on Monday also include one count of attempted murder in the wounding of what Adams’ office said was “a recently identified child victim.” Prosecutors additionally slapped him with five new weapons offenses.
The teen, armed with a pistol, opened fire outside the school on Wednesday, authorities said, hitting three students and a teacher. One student and the teacher were released from hospitals after treatment. The newly discovered child victim’s injuries weren’t disclosed.
Authorities last week said they hadn’t determined a motive.