In life there are certain core strengths that will significantly increase your chances of living a purpose driven and rewarding life. The military has captured these core strengths in how they train each and every member of the Armed Forces. These strengths become very obvious when you are in the presence of a Veteran. No matter how long you served this great Nation once you have been through training in any of the branches of service you are endowed with these core strengths for the rest of your life as long as you believe in them and practice them as part of your daily life.
I've had the honor of interviewing and having in depth conversations with various transitioning Veterans and those that have transitioned in the past. In each of these conversations there is a common theme that arises no matter what else is discussed. Below is that theme which I refer to as proven core strengths for a successful transition:
- Perseverance: Accomplish the task at hand no matter what, no excuses
- Accountability /Dependability: Consistently meet the mission requirements
- Thirst for knowledge: Quick and adept learner
- Commitment to Excellence: Evolving aptitude
- Caring leader: Knowing when to lead and when to follow
- Integrity: Commitment to be a team player including the importance of being humble
- Ability to Influence: Understanding what others need and providing service/support that benefits both sides
- Understanding the use of Emotional Intelligence: Being able to effectively manage your emotions and interpersonal relationships
- Effective Communication: Build and sustain rapport with all personality styles and rank
- Displaying Adaptability: Be open and show respect to other people's ideas and capabilities
- Handle stressful situations: Knowing that you have endured and succeeded in similar high stress situations
- Embrace life-long learning: Quickly grasping new technical and leadership knowledge
- Being an immediate contributor - Proactively positioning yourself to be ready when needed
Over the next several weeks I will be highlighting each of these proven core strengths by going into detail about what they mean, how they can apply to everyday life, the benefits of each and some examples of where they have served others well. There are several other core strengths have been key to transitioning Veterans successes but these were the ones that I have found to be consistently common amongst Veterans.
If you have any that you think have served you well and would be of benefit to other Veterans please share them below this post. The more collective wisdom we can gather share amongst our Veteran community the better all Veterans will be.
Landmark Life Coaching's Mission is to honorably and respectfully serve courageous groundbreakers and transitioning veterans to persevere in defining and executing their future by providing an atmosphere of comradery and trust that honors their dedication and commitment. This will empower our clients to feel whole, honored, respected and fulfilled in defining and living their life purpose.