“Daily Show” host Trevor Noah is running out of patience for the “bunch of idiots” he said President Donald Trump has put in charge of the nation’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. And he saved his harshest criticism on Wednesday for counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway.
Earlier in the day, Conway defended Trump’s decision to cut U.S. funding to the World Health Organization, saying the agency wasn’t prepared for the pandemic. Then, she implied that in the case of COVID-19, the organization had 18 other COVIDs to get ready.
“Seriously?” Noah shot back, “This is COVID-19, not COVID-1?”
Then he stepped in with a fact-check:
“You would think that one of the president’s top advisers would know that it’s called COVID-19 because it started in 2019, not because it’s the 19th COVID. What, does Kellyanne Conway also think that they’re called Blink-182 because the first 181 Blinks were taken?”
Noah also came up with a theory for Conway’s persistent head-scratching claims.
“Sometimes I think Trump tells Kellyanne Conway to say dumb things on purpose just so that he looks smart in comparison,” Noah said. Then, he mimicked Trump: “Kellyanne, I just told a reporter that Shrek is the president of Scotland. Please go out there and say something dumber. I need you.”
See his full monologue below:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus and grief
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.