Sarah Sanders: Trump No More Responsible For Bomb Packages Than Bernie Sanders Is For Baseball Game Shooting

The White House press secretary also told reporters that claims the president was involved with the suspicious packages are "disgraceful."
LOADINGERROR LOADING

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters on Thursday morning that President Donald Trump is “certainly not responsible for sending suspicious packages to someone, no more than Bernie Sanders was responsible for a supporter of his shooting up a Republican baseball field practice last year.”

.@PressSec draws false equivalency between Trump inciting violence against reporters & Bernie Sanders having deranged fans

"The president is certainly not responsible for sending suspicious packages, any more than Bernie Sanders was for supporter shooting up a baseball practice" pic.twitter.com/GEoaB1Vf7z

— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) October 25, 2018

Huckabee Sanders made the statement to reporters in the White House driveway, referring to the suspicious packages containing “potential explosive devices” sent on Wednesday to several prominent Democrats, including former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, as well as to the CNN headquarters.

The press secretary compared the packages targeting the politicians to a June 2017 attack by a lone gunman who opened fire on a group of Republican lawmakers practicing for a congressional baseball game. House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) was injured alongside several others. Police shot the gunman who later died of his injuries at a hospital. The shooter was reportedly a supporter of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

Sen. Lindsey Graham also made a similar remark on Twitter later Thursday, saying that he won’t blame Trump “for this nut job” because he didn’t blame Bernie Sanders when his supporter shot Scalise.

I didn’t blame Bernie Sanders when a Bernie supporter shot Congressman Steve Scalise. And I’m not going to blame President @realDonaldTrump for this nut job.

I blame the individual(s) responsible –- not someone else.

— Lindsey Graham (@LindseyGrahamSC) October 25, 2018

But these statements draw a false equivalence. Bernie Sanders has never incited or called for violence whereas the same cannot be said for Trump. Trump regularly calls reporters “enemies of the people” and has a history of making provocative statements during rallies ― he’s encouraged supporters to “knock the crap” out of protesters and once said he would “like to punch” one in the face.

At a recent rally, Trump referenced Rep. Greg Gianforte’s 2017 attack on a reporter and said: “Any guy who can do a body slam, he is my type!”

Huckabee Sanders on Thursday also lambasted the media during her chat with reporters, saying that 90 percent of the media coverage on Trump is “negative.” When asked by one reporter if Trump regretted any of the comments he’s made in reference to the press, Huckabee Sanders replied:

“Look, the president’s condemned violence in all forms and has done that since day one and will continue to do that, but certainly feels that everyone has a role to play.”

"You guys continue to focus only on the negative," @PressSec tells reporters about their coverage of Trump. During exchange in the WH driveway, she said 90% of media focus on @POTUS is negative. and first thing CNN did was to accuse pres of being responsible for bomb devices. pic.twitter.com/UaaK7XIJyg

— Mark Knoller (@markknoller) October 25, 2018

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders: “Look, the President’s condemned violence in all forms … but certainly feels that everyone has a role to play" pic.twitter.com/73bbpTwYDX

— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) October 25, 2018

The press secretary also slammed CNN on Wednesday night after network president Jeff Zucker criticized the Trump administration’s rhetoric towards the press. “The President, and especially the White House Press Secretary, should understand their words matter. Thus far, they have shown no comprehension of that,” he said.

We Need Your Support

Other news outlets have retreated behind paywalls. At HuffPost, we believe journalism should be free for everyone.

Would you help us provide essential information to our readers during this critical time? We can't do it without you.

You've supported HuffPost before, and we'll be honest — we could use your help again. We view our mission to provide free, fair news as critically important in this crucial moment, and we can't do it without you.

Whether you give once or many more times, we appreciate your contribution to keeping our journalism free for all.

You've supported HuffPost before, and we'll be honest — we could use your help again. We view our mission to provide free, fair news as critically important in this crucial moment, and we can't do it without you.

Whether you give just one more time or sign up again to contribute regularly, we appreciate you playing a part in keeping our journalism free for all.

Support HuffPost

″[President Donald Trump] asked Americans ‘to come together and send one very clear, strong, unmistakable message that acts or threats of political violence of any kind have no place in the USA’” Huckabee Sanders tweeted in response just after a Trump rally in Wisconsin. “Yet you chose to attack and divide. America should unite against all political violence.”

Huckabee Sanders also called the idea that Trump would be behind the packages sent to his opponents “disgraceful,” adding that there’s quite a difference between “comments made and actions taken.”

This story has been updated with a tweet from Lindsey Graham and additional context.

Close

What's Hot