One of the most explosive revelations to emerge from Woodward’s new reporting is that Trump actually understood the grave threat of the coronavirus in early February, but chose to knowingly mislead the public and downplay its risks.
Carlson didn’t dwell on the claims made in the book, backed up by audio recordings of the interviews, that is set for release next week.
Instead, Fox’s prime time host asked “why in the world would” Trump talk repeatedly with Woodward, whose 2018 tell-all “Fear: Trump In The White House” the president dismissed as a “scam.”
Carlson pointed the finger of blame at Graham. The senator, who slammed Trump during the 2016 campaign, has since become one of the president’s most ardent supporters.
Graham admitted to The Daily Beast on Wednesday that he’d told Trump that the interviews with Woodward would be a “chance to tell your side of the story.” Trump did not cooperate with Woodward on his 2018 book.
Carlson claimed Graham had even brokered the interviews between Trump and Woodward and sat in on their first chat.
“Now remember, Lindsey Graham is supposed to be a Republican, so why would he do something like that?” asked Carlson.
“You would have to ask him. But keep in mind that Lindsey Graham has opposed — passionately opposed — virtually every major policy initiative that Donald Trump articulated when he first ran. From ending illegal immigration to pulling back from pointless wars to maintaining law and order at home,” he continued.
“Lindsey Graham was against all of that, more than many Democrats,” Carlson concluded. “So maybe you already know the answer.”
Check out the clip here:
- What should you still be disinfecting to prevent COVID-19?
- Is it possible you had coronavirus earlier this year?
- How can you manage your anxiety as coronavirus restrictions lift?
- Here’s the latest on how long COVID-19 antibodies last.
- How will COVID-19 change your office?
- Laid off and lost your health insurance? You have options.
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now.
- Find all our coronavirus coverage here.