Earlier this week, the Fox News host described Duckworth ― a decorated veteran who lost her legs in combat in Iraq ― as “deeply silly and unimpressive” and claimed that she and other Democrats hate America.
The senator replied:
On Tuesday, Carlson claimed his show had contacted Duckworth’s office, but she was “too afraid to defend her own statements on a cable TV show.” He also said Duckworth ― whose family fought in every major U.S. conflict, including the Revolutionary War ― had no grasp of American history.
“To morons like Tammy Duckworth, [George] Washington is just some old white guy who needs to be erased,” he said.
Duckworth did not call for Washington to be erased. In an interview on CNN on Sunday, she slammed President Donald Trump for focusing on protecting statues, especially Confederate memorials, in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic.
“His priorities are all wrong here,” she said. “He should be talking about what we’re going to do to overcome this pandemic.”
When pressed on the statues issue, Duckworth said there should be a “national dialogue on it at some point” after the coronavirus threat had passed. When asked specifically if Washington statues should be removed, she said: “I think we should listen to the argument there.”
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.