My country, ‘tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty –
Of thee I sing!
What to give my country for Valentine’s Day – chocolates? red roses? No.
Much better: Truth Bouquets.
I send luscious bouquets to:
- Margot Lee Shatterley – you shine light on so many hidden figures
- Gabby Giffords – you carry on, even after being shot down
- Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski and Elizabeth Warren – you speak your consciences on the Senate floor
- Peter Salovey and Yale Corporation – you change a college’s name from Calhoun to Grace Murray Hopper
- Julius, my 10-year-old grandson, after seeing a Noguchi sculpture – you ask, “What is lynching?”
- My husband – you answer his question calmly, clearly
- Millions of people in the USA and around the world – you stand up strong for your beliefs
- Youtube – you make it possible for me to hear Marian Anderson sing My Country, ‘tis of thee at the Lincoln Memorial in 1939
To all of you I offer bouquets. Of you all, I sing.
Happy Valentine’s day, country of mine. Let freedom ring!
Millie Grenough, Author Oasis in the Overwhelm. www.milliegrenough.com
P.S. Give Yourself a Valentine ~
Join me this Wed Feb 16, 8 – 8:30 PM for a brief chat - Free
Topic? Compassion – for Yourself & Others: Strategies for Tough Times
Decide now to come to a 1-Day Retreat - Sun Mar 19
Theme? Welcome Fresh Life This Spring