Shocking video footage shows a large white truck blasting into a crowd gathered at a Bastille Day celebration in Nice, France, on Thursday.
At least 84 people were viciously killed and dozens injured and traumatized in what officials called “a terrorist attack” as the vehicle, loaded with guns and grenades, zigzagged with its headlights off to “kill as many as possible,” according to one witness.
“Nobody in the way stood a chance,” Pierre Roux told the New York Times, recalling that there was no honking as the truck plowed through the terrified crowd.
The footage below appears to show frantic officials trying to get the truck to stop before it speeds ahead toward the crowded street.
Warning: The video below contains disturbing footage.
Law enforcement officers later shot the driver of the truck to death.
Eyewitnesses described carnage at the scene, bodies strewn along the road, and devastated, stunned relatives. Thousands were gathered to watch a Bastille Day fireworks display, an annual tradition.
President Barack Obama on Thursday condemned the attack, offering “any assistance” to the French needed to “bring those responsible to justice.”
“We stand in solidarity and partnership with France, our oldest ally, as they respond to and recover from this attack,” Obama said in a statement.
- Devastation After Truck Plows Into Crowd In French City Of Nice
- What We Know About The Victims Of The Nice Attack
- World Leaders, Mourners Stand In Solidarity
- This Is The Most Heartbreaking Image From The Nice Truck Massacre
- French App Meant To Warn Of Emergencies Fails In A Big Way During Attack In Nice
- Vile: Newt Gingrich Says We Should ‘Test Every Person’ Of Muslim Descent
- Witnesses Relive ‘Carnage On The Road’ In Nice Terror Attack